Applications will open in early 2018 for the next cohort, please get in touch if you’d like to be added to our mailing list.
Selection will be determined by:
- Formal application, CV, references and transcripts of first degree.
- Personal statement and covering letter
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a formal interview.
A standard studentship consists of academic fees paid at standard Research Council rates, a doctoral stipend and a Research Training Support Grant
To be eligible for a full award (stipend and fees), you must:
- have settled status in the UK, meaning there are no restrictions on how long you can stay.
- have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for three years prior to the start of the studentship grant. This means you must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences).
- not have been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. This does not apply to UK and EU nationals.
National Doctoral Stipend for 2017-2018 is £14,553
European Union applicants will be eligible for an award paying academic fees and RTSG only, except in cases where residency in the UK has been established for more than 3 years prior to the start of the programme of study. To be eligible for a fees only award, you must be ordinarily resident in an EU member state, in the same way as UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK. We have some flexibility of funding for EU students as per the ESRC guidelines below, so please get in touch if you are interested in applying.
Unfortunately we are generally unable to fund international students on this programme. We have some flexibility as per the ESRC guidelines below, so please get in touch.
Please see ESRC’s guidance for further information on eligibility criteria
- 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent, in a relevant subject area
English language requirements:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – 7 overall, 7 writing, 6 other sections
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Internet based test – 100 overall, 25 writing, 22 other sections
*Offers will be made subject to programme approval at the relevant institution.